The main halls are primarily Qing architecture, which is linked to the parlour, a double-storey building in the Republican style. The building covers an area of 609㎡. In 1920, Li Houji, the then military governor of Fujian Province, bought the house for Yan Fu. It was designated in 2006 as one of the 6th group of key cultural relics under state protection.
Yan Fu (1854-1921), born in Houguan County (present Fuzhou), was a renowned modern enlightenment thinker, translator and educator. Once president of Fudan University and Peking University, he was one of the outstanding figures to “Seek Truth from the West”.